Oakville Christian School recognizes the importance of privacy of personal information and is committed to treating any such information which it collects, uses, or discloses in a responsible manner and only as reasonably necessary for its purposes.
Purpose of Collecting Personal Information
The primary purpose for which Oakville Christian School collects, uses and discloses information is to serve its clients, potential clients, and volunteers, to establish and manage its employees, to market its services and other purposes which would be considered related or otherwise reasonable in the circumstances. For example, we primarily collect, use, and disclose personal information in the following circumstances and for the following reasons:
Oakville Christian School collects, uses, and discloses personal information about employees to establish, manage, and terminate the employment relationship, and for such other purpose(s) as identified when the information is collected. For example:
- Personal information collected during the hiring process such as the information on resumes, application forms, criminal record checks, and information collected from references
- Payroll and related information including SIN, pay scale, hours of work, deductions, bank account information, court orders
- Benefit information including SIN, premiums or contributions, coverage, dependent information, date of birth, marital status, medical information
- Performance information including work and attendance history, performance and relationship reviews, discipline and related memos and notes, documentation related to qualifications and professional growth
- Other personal information as required to comply with applicable employment and human rights legislation.
Oakville Christian School collects, uses, and discloses personal information about volunteers for the purposes of aiding the students within the school environment or on group trips. Other purpose(s) for which personal information might be collected will be identified at the time of collection. For example:
- Information collected by way of criminal record checks
- Information related to the volunteers’ services including availability
- To invoice clients, process or collect accounts
- To provide mailings or invitations to special events
- To communicate new developments at Oakville Christian School or to communicate other matters which may be of interest to our clients or prospective clients
- To report to required regulatory or governmental authorities.
Generally, all personal information is held in strict confidence and Oakville Christian School requires consent, either express or implied, to use or disclose personal information about an individual unless otherwise permitted or required by law. The way in which Oakville Christian School seeks consent, including whether it is express or implied, will vary depending upon the sensitivity of the information and the reasonable expectations of the individual. An individual may withdraw consent at any time, subject to legal or contractual restrictions and reasonable notice. There are circumstances where Oakville Christian School is permitted or required under law to collect, use, or disclose personal information without the knowledge or consent of an individual. These circumstances include: where collection or use is clearly in the interests of the individual and consent cannot be obtained in a timely way; or to act in respect of an emergency that threatens the life, health, safety or security of an individual.
Personal information shall be kept as accurate, complete, and up-to-date as is necessary to fulfill the purpose(s) for which it was collected. Employees, clients, and volunteers are responsible for providing current information to Oakville Christian School.
Oakville Christian School will take appropriate steps to ensure personal information will be protected by adequate safeguards to protect the personal information it collects. Employees and volunteers will be appropriately educated about the importance of privacy and will be required to follow Oakville Christian School’s policies and procedures regarding personal information. Employee, client, and volunteer files will be stored in locked filing cabinets and access to personal information will be restricted to authorized and legitimate persons. Electronic files and database access will be password protected. Third-party contractors or agents who have access to personal information will be required to confirm they follow appropriate privacy practices. Oakville Christian School’s safeguarding practices will be reviewed in a timely fashion to ensure the privacy of personal information.
Openness & Access
Oakville Christian School retains personal information only as long as is reasonably necessary or as required by law. As a general rule, Oakville Christian School retains information for at least seven years. Oakville Christian School destroys paper files with personal information by shredding or
discarding same in garbage receptacles and destroys electronic information by deleting it.
Questions & Concerns
All questions and concerns relating to the schools policies and procedures about employee, client and volunteer personal information should be directed to the Privacy Officer:
Mr. Jeff Kennedy, Principal
Oakville Christian School
112 Third Line